Wednesday 29 January 2014

Reflection on prelim work



My prelim represents the a level social group; the idea was to try and keep the target age group as wide and ranging as possible to influence and appeal a larger audience to increase sales and interest of 'Dare To'. The sixth form group ranges from 16-19 years, by offering them advice to improve education, my prelim represents students who are particularly interested in their education and people who have opted to remain in full-time education completing a-levels would have this mind-set.


I attracted my audience through the use of bright colours which, at the same time, represented and have relevance to the school as the use of blue and green are the school logo colours. The model used on the prelim cover had a toothy smile on her face which suggests she was happy. This creates a positive  mood and atmosphere instantly for the reader just by looking at the magazine cover-appealing. The use of colour all contrasted well and was aesthetically pleasing on the eye.
I addressed my audience through including cover lines/stories which have relevance to the school. The students which have chosen to stay on taking part in sixth form education would often have an interest in their school, teachers, fellow students and advice to maximise learning; therefore the text featured on the cover page would address issues of interest to students and encourage them to grab a copy!




I have learnt  the basics of using the Photoshop software on both a standard computer as well as on an Apple Mac. When creating the prelim, I gained knowledge on most of the tools I was able to use on the software and how to develop ideas through layers etc. I was able to create a basic magazine cover in a short amount of time on Photoshop after gaining understanding of the programme. As well as Photoshop, I used Blogger after constructing the prelim work; this was to enable it to be posted publically onto my personal blog. I have learnt that blogger is able to display Photoshop products after they have been saved as a JPEG file/image. I learnt that Photoshop was an appropriate software application for creating and editing magazine style pages and that Blogger is an appropriate way of displaying the final product.              

1 comment:

  1. Hi Loz,
    This post is in a lot detail which is all clearly relevant to your preliminary design, showing you have a sound knowledge and understanding of your genre, audience and intentions for your magazine. You've shown you knew what you were doing and have explained really well the progress you've made through making it. Going through your blog everything seems to follow this pattern. I think a good next step to improve your mark would be to do a survey to find out even more about your target audience for your actual magazine.
    Keep up the good work ;-)

    ReplyDelete