Friday 17 January 2014

Language Register:

I will focus on a combination of low and high language register as I feel it is suitable for a music related magazine. By containing some formal language, the magazine allows itself to be taken seriously and easily read. However I will choose to avoid the use of complex vocabulary as this may intimidate the readers as they may not understand all of the words used. I want to include colloquial language within my magazine as this creates a youthful feel and will be an effective way of engaging and appealing to my target audience (16-24). By using abbreviations/shortened versions of words, I am preventing the magazine from being boring, monotone and overly formal. For a magazine of this nature I feel a lively, exciting atmosphere and mood should be created and by using low language register, this can be achieved. I would like the magazine to be relatable to the target audience as well as have humorous elements to appeal and interest a young audience with a love of music. As I am aiming for bold, edgy and stylish images which are different, I feel an informal style of writing is necessary to suit these images and to keep the magazine flowing nicely from one page to another, still keeping the interest of the reader at heart. For the reader's to be able to understand the contents without confusion or frustration, I will also take the high language register format as this allows an informative magazine. A combination of the two language registers will allow the magazine to be appealing, interesting, informative, relevant, youthful and current.


An example of a hip-hop style magazine which takes the approach of a low and high combination of language register includes The Source. This magazine includes colloquial language 'bout', 'a lotta'. This use of informal language creates a bond with reader and would be appealing as the target audience would understand and relate to this type of language. However as this magazine wants to be taken seriously as well as being easy to read, a high/formal language register is used.


XXL is a hip-hop genre music magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment