Friday 17 January 2014

Font research

I have chosen  variety of styles as the aim of this research was to experiment and think outside the box. I included genre's of Hip-Hop & Indie as these are the two styles of music I most prefer and have an interest in.

Using Dafont.com:

Snacker Comic font-

This font would be an option I would consider to use on the contents page of Bass Junkie. The use of bubble writing is simple yet effective with a youthful, urban twist. However I wouldn't use this font on the front cover as it does not give off the energy and excitement I am aiming for to entice and appeal to the target audience.



Cobac Font-

This give off the impression of the words being thrown on the page randomly; not lined perfectly to create a rough, informal feel. This font, I feel, would be more effective if it were to be used on the contents page of my magazine rather than the front cover. It is basic with an urban style edge.
 
Gretoon Highlight-
 Again, this would be more appropriate for featuring on the contents page of my magazine. It is stylish as the use of white gives a shine. This is more appealing than a basic, bold black and the added detail does not overwhelm the page. I do not feel it creates an edgy, urban look which was something I was intending for the cover of Bass Junkie. It would fit the criteria for my contents page due to standing out and being simplistic.

Big Bottom Cartoon-
I like this font and I believe it would work for the masthead featured on the cover of my mag. It is basic and easy to read which would enable readers to recognise the magazine in future. The bold text is however very simple and lacks character. It has an informal feel and would appeal to the target market. It is suited to my chosen genre of hip-hop. The bold, black font would not take away any attention from other aspects of the magazine (including: cover lines, model/image etc.)
Dark Times-    
                             
This font would be most suited to the front cover page of the magazine as it makes a statement and gives and sets an urban atmosphere before the reader has read the content.
 
Bombing-


Would be effective for use on the front cover or the contents page as it reflects the style of hip-hop. The graffiti style gives off an urban feel to create mood and atmosphere for the reader. It would stand out on the page as it is edgy.





NYC Zone 123-
 
This would be most suitable for the contents page of the magazine. Appears too 'spacy' for the front cover. I like the urban, quirky effect it gives off to set an energetic mood. I don't feel it stands out.


Juice-

I like the style of the font however it may be difficult for some to read as not all of the letters can be clearly made out (for example the s and the e.) Despite this, I like the bold lettering as it stands out and would be effective for the contents page rather than the cover. May be suited for a double page spread.
 


Quantum-
I like both of the different versions of this font and feel that either of them could be used on the front cover. I like the effectiveness of the straight, basic text as this would stand out and be easy to read. The bold, sharpness of this font would be relevant for creating the intended mood and atmosphere for Bass Junkie.





Stentiga-

I like how the font represents frequency as the fonts are each on different levels; this implies audacity which relates to music. However the detail may look overpowering on the page to give off an overwhelming aesthetic view which I aim to avoid. I like the futurist look and feel it would be more suited  to a double page spread type of page rather than make a huge statement on the cover.


Kakawate-

 The bold font stands out and has a rough, urban edge to it which is something I was aiming for. The lettering appears distinct and exciting as the shaping isn't perfect to create mood and atmosphere. I would not use this on the front cover page as I do not feel it gives off much of a statement and is not entirely suited to my chosen hip-hop genre. However the style may be relevant to feature on the contents or double page spread. 


No comments:

Post a Comment