Wednesday 19 March 2014

Tracking progress on the cover



After comparing this to XXL's cover which I used as inspiration, I decided it did not look appealing or interesting enough; therefor I decided to change some elements to improve the look/design of the cover. I put together the names of many famous hip-hop artists and groups who are well known and famous for their hip-hop music. I followed the convention of an example cover from XXL where the barcode is placed in the bottom right corner.


I did not feel the masthead looked appealing and was not something which would make a statement and catch the audience's eye. I then changed the design and look of the mast head outer box shape and colour to resemble XXL's masthead. I then added the name of my magazine: Base Junkie, which was the masthead name.


I inserted the band name as a big and bold cover line: Paradox. This would attract the audience and grab their attention. I filled the text in white as i planned to place an image of the male model from the duo who would be wearing a black hoodie, to contrast with the white fill colour and stand out further on the page.


I wanted to give off a positive message about the magazine to the audience, i decide to change the end section of the tag line ' and defeat' to a more appealing and interesting 'and urban culture'. This covers themes which are presented and explored in Base Junkie and is therefore suitable.


I then move the barcode to fill open/blank space on the cover page, challenging conventions. As the top right of the cover page was previously blank and appeared 'spacey', i decided to place the barcode more appropriately and effectively in the top right of the page. This filled the gap and seemed more aesthetically pleasing foe the audience as nothing seems out of place and everything works well together.



I then inserted the image i wished to be featured on the cover. I placed in the centre for a more direct approach when targeting the audience and encouraging them to buy a copy of the magazine. I ensure the model's head was placed in the centre as this is the main focus point and creates a more professional design and layout.


The above displays the final product of the cover page. I arranged the cover lines text layers to ensure they are visible over the image. The design looks appealing, professional and conventions each complement each other nicely to create a final cover page which would interest my target audience.






No comments:

Post a Comment